Sign up for email updates from Visit Garland

Facebook Twitter Instagram Flickr
Home > Blog > History


Garland Through the Years

See how Garland came to be the community it is today.

1846 – Texas became a state; Garland part of Peters colony
1850 – Settlers began arriving
1874 – Duck Creek community established on northwest bank of Duck Creek with cotton as primary agricultural product
1878 – Post office established in the community
1886 – Santa Fe Railroad built a rail line and depot bypassing Duck Creek; Village of Embree established
1887 – Post office moved between Embree and Duck Creek; bill submitted to Congress that forced both railroads to deliver to the new post office
1891 – City of Garland incorporated with an est. population of about 500 – location named in honor of Attorney General A.H. Garland, dissolving Duck Creek, Embree and old Duck Creek
1901 – The Santa Fe Depot was constructed
1917 – Bankhead Highway was designated as Texas Highway
1926 – Bankhead Highway became part of US Highway 67
1950 – War production gave Garland its biggest economic and population increase, reaching 10,291 residents

Present Day Today, Garland is a major manufacturing hub that is home to more than 375 manufacturers, including General Dynamics, Sherwin Williams and Kraft Foods.

Bankhead Highway

The Bankhead Highway, aided by the 1916 Federal Road Act, which would supply funds to help states improve roadways, was America’s second transcontinental highway and celebrated as a southern all-weather route joining Washington D.C. to San Diego, California. The Bankhead Highway passed through many Texas communities, including Garland. The first Texas historic marker celebrating the Bankhead Highway is located in Downtown Garland on Main Street between 5th & 6th Streets.

Texas Bankhead Highway Association Secretary, Arthur P. Dyer, noted that Garland was the only town on the Texas Route, which had voluntarily organized and gone to work without asking for outside help. The residents of Garland took advantage of the highway’s potential for economic growth; auto repair shops, restaurants and service stations were all built along Main Street. Today, upon closer inspection, many of the older buildings along Main Street still bear remnants of the economic impact of the Bankhead Highway, including painted advertisements on the building that once housed “The Ford House” opened in ca. 1917, architecture of the buildings that housed Morrison’s Garage in the late 1920s and other auto-related businesses.

The Bankhead Highway entered Garland on old bridges crossing Lake Ray Hubbard (that are only exposed during drought times as bridge remnants) continuing west on Commerce Street and Main Street and then traveling out of Garland via South Garland Road, Miller Road and Jupiter Road.

The Bankhead Highway was officially designated as Texas Highway 1 in 1917, but it also retained the official Bankhead name until 1926, when it became part of US Highway 67. Interestingly, the Bankhead name attached to the Garland section of the route remained until the early 1950s.

Back to
Tickets & Deals